• More Meat and More Meeting   11 years 12 weeks ago

No off course, you are correct. Just counting down my gaming days makes me sad. So much still to have fun with and no time.
    And yes I wrote down the Robin not well issue in my original deleted post, I tried to spell it out from a fan/customers point of view. And yes I understand the small design team.
    Cooler and more eloquent heads prevail, and I shall now go back to sitting on my hands.

• More Meat and More Meeting   11 years 12 weeks ago

Whilst the current production schedule is less than ideal; you have to take into consideration the fact that Robin is not well.

I am actually encouraged by all the development work going on; there seems to be alot more Harn being actively developed now than there has been in a long time.

The Chelemby stuff is great, that is a huge addition to the Harn gaming world. I particularly like the level of detail that has gone into it all, I personally don't think quality should be compromised for quantity.

Modules and adventures are certainly nice in the interim, but that would probably result in resources being taken away from the major projects. Personally I am happy to wait and see what kelestia produces next. But thats just my preference.

• More Meat and More Meeting   11 years 12 weeks ago

Allan

Really, I think you need to calm down. If they were really "secret" projects, do you think we would be discussing them in Hârn Chat? I raised them there because I was, and am, more than happy to discuss ideas with fans. If you can't handle that, then don't read the Hârn Chat archives.

I think your expectations of what can be produced which is of high quality by a small team when the lead author is seriously ill are unreasonable. I would have thought that the fact we are working hard on a range of projects should be encouraging, not discouraging. Would you rather we did nothing?

Yours in equal frustration....

---------------------
    Fástred na Beréma,
    Rówanti na Sávè-k’nôr

• More Meat and More Meeting   11 years 12 weeks ago

I dont know if I should respond but..
    I wrote the rant, I deleted the rant. Read the latest Harn Chat, just makes me cry with frustration, same old secret projects. I cant game for many more years, as the hobby is dying (here). How about smaller projects to keep the material flowing. Please.

• More Meat and More Meeting   11 years 12 weeks ago
    ??

??

• More Meat and More Meeting   11 years 12 weeks ago

'Leakage', makes me sad, makes me LOL. Leakage of nothing = nothing. Its all about production, not reduction.

• More Meat and More Meeting   11 years 12 weeks ago
  • Scenario Idea 1: Tyána's Shade   11 years 12 weeks ago

...I did not mean to offend.

Just mentioning that a high state of anticipation for prolonged periods can cause health problems. But this is a problem for the young. Your older audience is more than content to wait for the delights of the mind that your writing always provide.

Plus it allows One to work on graciousness and good manners, with only the occasional snide comment to liven the discussion.

Have I groveled enough now????

The man who WOULD NOT be king.

• Orbs of Lisana   11 years 12 weeks ago

OK, this is just a quick something..

The first thing to consider is the mechanic of using these things. They are essentially hand grenades, which means a thrown missile weapon. You'll simply use the combat rules already available. Then there are the effects.

All that we're given is that these things explode. I'm gonna say they have a blast radius of either 5 (65%) or 10 (35%) feet, meaning that most orbs only affect the hex that they land in, while a few can affect the hex and all surrounding hexes.

For those caught in the blast:

Fireball (mundane fire, not ethereal). 3d6 fire damage to all hit locations. (GM must use common sense to determine what locations on a character are hit by the blast. There is also a chance of flammable clothing/items catching fire.

Knockout gas. If inhaled victim must grows dizzy (dizziness results in a -10 EML penalty, including intitiative) and loses consciousness in half of Condition SI rounds. Use the rules listed under SHOCK in the glossdex to handle recovery of consciousness. See the SWIMMING rules in HarnMaster Gold: Player's Edition for information on holding one's breath.

Poisonous gas. See the DISEASE rules in HarnMaster Gold: Players Edition for rules on poisons. Again, the holding your breath rules apply.

Acid. 5d6 fire damage to exposed skin. Clothing and items also take damage but this does not generally transfer to the victim. Permanent disfigurement a distinct possibility.

Oil. Any characters in or traversing through the affected hexes make stumble rolls at -10 eml

• Orbs of Lisana   11 years 12 weeks ago

OK, this is just a quick something..

For those caught in the blast:

• Orbs of Lisana   11 years 12 weeks ago

Unfortunatly I am not a rules GM. I am converting and running the Sanctuary adventure by Keith Done, and a similar effect is in that module, but for D&D stats. So I was looking in Gold and remembered the Orb's, but they have no mechanics. I either needed the info for tonight or more likely next week.
    Allan

• Orbs of Lisana   11 years 12 weeks ago

Allan

• Scenario Idea 1: Tyána's Shade   11 years 12 weeks ago

Hey... that's a bit unfair. I never promised a date of publication for Trierzon... I still haven't. Which should tell you something about whose fault *that* was.

I should also point out that during the past five years, "my" output has be at a vastly greater rate than during the preceding twenty years (which should tell you something more).

Admittedly, while suffering from cancer over the past two years, I have slowed down quite a bit, and I appreciate your patience about that :)

• Orbs of Lisana   11 years 12 weeks ago

I haven't, but it looks like a good candidate for a write up here on the web-site. Would you like to tackle it Allan? :)

• Orbs of Lisana   11 years 12 weeks ago

• Scenario Idea 1: Tyána's Shade   11 years 12 weeks ago

In the original post announcing "Scenario Ideas" it stated: "...an ***intermittently*** published series of inspirations and material for adventures and campaigns set on Kèthîra.

And while Robin creates EXCELLENT articles, his rate of production is (shall we say) a bit slower than some folks. You will notice that most of his fans have the patience to wait (literally) decades for a project to mature. (Shall we perhaps mention Triezon?)

I also might mention I was not "Ancient" when I first discovered Harn in the mid-eighties. However time does go on and...

The man who WOULD NOT be king.

• Scenario Idea 1: Tyána's Shade   11 years 13 weeks ago

The suppense is geting to me, were's the next adventure?

• Convocation Attunement   11 years 13 weeks ago

What you're remembering is from an older publication. Of course your free to use whatever rules you like, but the current publication (HarnMaster Gold: Shek-Pvar) doesn't have those same requirements.

Yes, knowledge must be earned. I wouldn't say that's the foundation of the Shek-Pvar really (maybe the Save'-K'norrians), but that's beside the point. HarnMaster Gold:Shek-Pvar treats every spell as a seperate skill. These have to be trained up individually and to do so necessarily involves risk. Nothing's being given away for free here. In addition, there are social and institutional rules limiting the chance of a mage from one convocation learning the spells of another. Lastly, the added difficulty of understanding and casting a spell from another (let alone an opposing) convocation is generated due to the differing "world-view" that's required to maintain a proper form.

For a mage to be so widely respected that a chantry or individual of an opposing convocation would aid him or her in learning such a spell indicates a very high degree of competency and power. For this Peleahn mage to acquire and learn an Odivsh spell, REALISTICALLY requires him to earn the knowledge.

• Convocation Attunement   11 years 13 weeks ago

• Convocation Attunement   11 years 13 weeks ago

Naturally I don't have my books handy and can't find a page number to reference, but . . .

I seem to recall a piece of text that indicated that an apprentice Shek-Pvar (a Mavari, IIRC) was taught to allow a little bit of the essence of his convocation to reside within his Aura - a process called attunement. I further seem to recall that the text went on to say that as the Shek-Pvar tried to master a new convocation (having received the appropriate permissions, of course), he learned to allow a little bit of the essence of the new convocation to reside in his Aura with the little bit of essence from his old convocation. And so on around the wheel until he attuned to them all and then tried to "un-attune" and become a Grey Mage. I also remember that the Shek-Pvar was required to go around the wheel in order and had to learn his opposing convocation last. Therefore, the Peleahn in the example above could not learn an Odivshe spell, no matter how lucky his rolls might be, until he'd put in a lot of work with the intervening four convocations.

Of course, I could be misremembering. However, if I were GM'ing, I'd do it the way I described above regardless of the exact rules. Why? Because the entire foundation of the Shek-Pvar approach to learning is that knowledge must be EARNED.

Just my two pence . . .

----------

Old style heraldry: Sable, the pale argent.

New style heraldry: Oreo, resting on edge.

• Convocation Attunement   11 years 13 weeks ago

Just my two pence . . .

----------

Old style heraldry: Sable, the pale argent.

New style heraldry: Oreo, resting on edge.

• Convocation Attunement   11 years 13 weeks ago

...to learn how to wrap his mind around the concept of "Magick" which, after all, is the suspension of the "Laws of Physics".

Of course most people living on Harn (or anywhere on Kethira, for that matter) have no concept of "Science" let alone "Physics". So "Magick" for them is as valid a concept as "Physics" and culturally more understandable. To a certain extent we are translating their world/mindset into 20th century scientific thought.

...And what does this have to do with the price of tea in China???

The assumption is that attunement allows quicker results then learning all magic theory at the same time (presumeably what the Sindarin do). The trouble is that it limits your view of magical theory for the long haul. Since Humans have a (somewhat) limited lifespan this (usually) works out as a net positive, since they will never have the time to master all the convocations...

...Usually...

If your character can find someone to teach him a spell from a different convocation; you should probably increase the time it takes to learn the spell since he(r) will have to wrap their head around some new concepts. I usually require 2x normal time to learn a spell from a "Secondary" convocation; 3x normal time to learn a spell from a "Tertiary" convocation; etc.

Once (if ever) a person has learned a spell from each of the convocations, he is eligible to become a "Grey Mage". Once he has attained that lofty position, all further spells can be learn at the same rate as he used to learn his primary convocation spells.

Wordy as usual,
    The Ancient One
    The man who WOULD NOT be king.

• Convocation Attunement   11 years 13 weeks ago

...And what does this have to do with the price of tea in China???

...Usually...

Wordy as usual,
    The Ancient One
    The man who WOULD NOT be king.

• Siem   11 years 13 weeks ago

While Siém is perceived by many to have a special relationship with the Elder Folk, that is (as Neil has suggested) simply one aspect of his nature. Both Elder peoples have their own perspective on this particular God.

This is actually the case for all of the Gods. The Hârnic perspective is simply that - the Hârnic perspective. Other cultures, peoples and beings have other perspectives. The Gods are truely "unknowable" - this is even enshrined in the "Principle of Ineluctability"....

However, the fact that both the Elder folk see themselves as having a special relationship with the same God actually suggests that the "differences" between them are not as profound as is often suggested. As Neil has also pointed out, both of the Elder peoples are "naturalistic" - just in varying ways.

---------------------