• An RPG designed specifically for online play?   11 years 19 weeks ago

Obviously the consensus is conservative. Does this extend to mundane mechanics? For example, would you have players and GM literally rolling dice and consulting tables? Is this different from the combatants telling the computer their choices of combat options and clicking a button to resolve the round? If so, how? Would the latter not both offer the opportunity for more complex underlying mechanics and reduce the time required?

• Scenario Idea 1: Tyána's Shade   11 years 19 weeks ago

A new/old Kelestia adventure, Great.
    Lets see lots more.
    Thanks

• Scenario Idea 1: Tyána's Shade   11 years 19 weeks ago

I had a lot of fun haunting a group of PC's with Tyana once - it's nice to see it again . . .

----------

Old style heraldry: Sable, the pale argent.

New style heraldry: Oreo, resting on edge.

• An RPG designed specifically for online play?   11 years 19 weeks ago

My philosophy is that the only problem with pen and paper RPGs is getting the people power to enjoy them. They take up a fair whack of time and organization is really difficult especially as people leave school, move away, have families etc... VTTs should be like a roleplaying phone. They shouldn't change the rules or take over the decisions.

I prefer to see people face to face but its not practically possible with friends in different parts of the globe. I'd rather play on a terminal if it means I can play with my friend who happens to be 7 hours away. I'd rather not leave my home, if I have responsibilities here. Having no travel time means I have that much more gaming time.

Telecommuting for gaming shouldn't change your games except to make them more available.

Sigurd

PS. I'd love to join a Harn Game on Fantasy Grounds if anyone is interested in GMing?
    EST - Eastern Standard Time
    EST is 5 hours behind of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)

• An RPG designed specifically for online play?   11 years 19 weeks ago

Sigurd

EST - Eastern Standard Time
    EST is 5 hours behind of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)

• An RPG designed specifically for online play?   11 years 19 weeks ago

I, too, have played RPGs using a VTT - in my case Screenmonkey and BattelgroundsRPG (plus brief sessions on others at the iCon virtal RPG convention). My opinion is that they are at their best when they don't try to computerise the game itself, but just provide a substitute for the table top (ooh, that would be why they are 'virtual table tops', right? ;-) ).

A map space, chat client and means to handle whatever type of randomisation is used by the system you are using is all you really need. Hence why I choose BRPG to run with in my own game. (1)

You do, however, need to adjust your general routines and modes of play. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but the bandwidth of communication face-to-face is much wider and false assumptions are easier to avoid. It also tends to be a little slower online, but taking that bit more time can allow some real magic to develop in character play - the lack of a physical presence that may be wildly at odds with the character portrayed can really help, here, too.

(1) - Oh, and a Fog of War feature so that each player can have a personalised view of just what their character can see can be pretty cool, too!

• An RPG designed specifically for online play?   11 years 19 weeks ago

Ancient One

There have been many threads about womens roles on Hârn on the HârnForum. The two main arguments in favour of ‘strong’ female characters are;

History:
    It is very easy to find ‘exceptional’ women in history. There are several instances of noble ladies organising the defence of their husbands castles while the husband was away. Medieval merchants wives often ran the shop while their husbands were away trading. Medieval peasant women earned money making dairy produce, spinning and weaving. Having said that, many were little more than chattel.

Fantasy:
    Hârn is a fantasy world, the principal religions (can you have more than one principal – probably not – sorry) on much of Hârn are those of Larani and Peoni – a warrior goddess and a nurturing mother. The femininity of these religions may have resulted in marked social differences on Hârn. Add to this Halea (a sexually active merchant goddess!) and you have an interesting series of possibilities. Incidentally, anyone looking at Halea MUST (IMO) read Ilkka Leskela’s excellent discussion on the goddess.

Neil

Ancient One

History:

Fantasy:

Neil

Ken

First, I’d agree, generally with your ‘LADY’ skill set. There are a couple of skills I’d suggest that you add. Perhaps some of these should be optional (ie bought with option points at an improved level).

Agriculture 1/2 – this is (IMO) an essential skill for ladies who in effect run the manorial household. I think the skill should be common to all noble ladies (at least at the 'manor' level) Baronesses & countesses are probably to far romoved from this. Also, most rural wives should get the same skill,(with a specialisation of dairy produce)). It should also (IMO) be given to (male) bailiffs and landholding knights.

Shortbow OML/OML+SB (Ladies took part in the hunt)

(Animalcraft) Falconry and (Animalcraft) Dogcraft should also be considered for the same reason.

Neil

Ken

Shortbow OML/OML+SB (Ladies took part in the hunt)

Neil

• Occupational Skills   11 years 20 weeks ago

OK, so let's post some skill sets. :)

• Occupational Skills   11 years 20 weeks ago

OK, so let's post some skill sets. :)

Great post.

Perhaps something along the lines of a Liaison Officer for women in the Church of Larani or Halea? Since they go out into the field, they might recieve some training besides courtly skills.

Great post.

• Occupational Skills   11 years 20 weeks ago

...In historical (Terran) terms there are very few occupations for women. In many/most cultures they were little(?) more than chattle. But Harn has been created with a more modern/open mindset.

...And what does this have to do with skill sets...

While masculine skill sets are (fairly) well developed, female skill sets are not. This come from a) A mostly male RPG demographic and b) Historical prejudice against women.

Therefore most of your new skill sets will (probably) have to deal with women being included in the society and there adaptations to the (mostly) male power structure.
    (And a new rational for the Church of Halea is born)

Thus we will be presenting choices/vocations not available to women of the middle ages and also creating an "artificial" reality. (Ok, ok... it is a RPG after all, but a world very much based on a understanding of the "real" Terran middle ages.) I personally enjoy the "new-found" freedoms of the fairer sex but it does skew our view of the historical (Terran) middle age.

Ruminations from The Ancient One...
    ...The man who WOULD NOT be king.

• Occupational Skills   11 years 20 weeks ago

...And what does this have to do with skill sets...

(And a new rational for the Church of Halea is born)

Ruminations from The Ancient One...
    ...The man who WOULD NOT be king.

• Occupational Skills   11 years 20 weeks ago

Sounds interesting Brimstone, but this thread isn't about women's roles in society, it's about occupational skill sets for occupations that don't appear in the HarnMaster Gold tables.

• Occupational Skills   11 years 20 weeks ago

Well I'm currently pondering a retrofitting of the entire Kelestia universe to make it a little more zesty.

This alternate version will have women mainly as Shek-Pvar, sort of like Aes Sedai from the Robert Jordan "Wheel of Time" novels. The mechanics of magic will incorporate the need for "Vis" like Ars Magica. When most men try to use "Vis" while spellcasting they go insane, but for some reason women have no problems combining "Vis" and spells. It's like men are tainted and when the "Vis" interacts with a mans spirit things go haywire.

The setting will still be low magic, but it allows for some intresting opportunities for the female gender. A world a little less chauvinistic towards women.

• An RPG designed specifically for online play?   11 years 20 weeks ago

I play all my RPGs over the internet with a VTT (Virtual Table Top) called Fantasy Grounds.

I have to say there is generational change between a pen and paper game played on the internet and a computer aided game. It becomes clear if you talk about it in the context of a game like chess. You can enable people to play the game as written across long distances or you can change the game by offering strategy or tracking moves or modifying the rules with 'real time' things that the players can do. I hope people treat RPGS as games and preserve most of the rules.

In the first instance - Internet enabled Pen & Paper - all the rules need not change. Extra routines can be made to simplify DMing or rolling on complex tables but it is fundamentally the same. The computer is little more than a glorified phone for an unchanged conversation. This is my preferred mode. I hate twitch games.

In the second instance of an RPG Computer RPG hybrid I think you have to start from the computer side of things with a promise of capabilities then work back to the RPG simulation experience. Here I think you work back from 'Simulation' and 'Reality' into crafting a game. The problem so far IMHO is that you end up with something like Diablo (A great game but not much of a simulation) or Second Life (I gather a great simulation but less of a game).
    I suspect that for the computer simulationists out there Pen & Paper RPGs are too much of a backwater. The results will come from a refinement of 'World of Warcraft' into a personal shared reality not from an expanded PnP RPG.

I really hope there is always a place for pen & paper RPGs even if they are played across computer terminals. Ideally there will be an automation of dice & player interaction that will allow genuine story telling. Fantasy Grounds is IMHO the best package for structured storytelling through an RPG on the net.

-Sigurd

• An RPG designed specifically for online play?   11 years 20 weeks ago

-Sigurd

• An RPG designed specifically for online play?   11 years 20 weeks ago

I'd stick with the core of HarnMaster Gold I think, but I might be inclined to increase the options and complexity of combat, knowing that I had a computer there to handle all the number crunching.

• An RPG designed specifically for online play?   11 years 20 weeks ago