• Time for a new poll   10 years 47 weeks ago

J.

---------------------
    Fástred al Beréma,
    Rówanti al Sávè-k’nôr

• Venârivè (Northwestern Lýthia)   10 years 47 weeks ago

Dan

We are working as hard as we can on Chélemby. I can't really say any more, I'm afraid!

---------------------
    Fástred al Beréma,
    Rówanti al Sávè-k’nôr

• Venârivè (Northwestern Lýthia)   10 years 47 weeks ago

Dan

---------------------
    Fástred al Beréma,
    Rówanti al Sávè-k’nôr

• The Chostôren   10 years 47 weeks ago

Hi Dan

The Chostôri are covered in the Bestiary, and also in Kèthîra v2. They are possibly related to the Dwarves.

---------------------
    Fástred al Beréma,
    Rówanti al Sávè-k’nôr

• The Chostôren   10 years 47 weeks ago

Hi Dan

---------------------
    Fástred al Beréma,
    Rówanti al Sávè-k’nôr

• Venârivè (Northwestern Lýthia)   10 years 48 weeks ago

So, annoying as these sorts of questions probably are for the publishers, is there an expected release date for Chélemby City?

Thanks,
    Dan.

• Venârivè (Northwestern Lýthia)   10 years 48 weeks ago

Thanks,
    Dan.

• Time for a new poll   10 years 48 weeks ago

The question was actually phrased this open-ended on purpose. As I said: I didn't want to ask about any specific products, only get a general idea if working on rules material is worthwile.

So, you don't think that a question like this would be helpful?

• Time for a new poll   10 years 48 weeks ago

We should only ask about products we are seriously considering working on; and able to actually work on.

The "rules" products that we *could* work on (because quite some material has been developed) include:

* Harn Manor Gold (Robin has a version)
    * Harn "Castle" or "Settlement" - I developed this a few years ago

In any case - we should finish Chelemby and a few other things first....

---------------------
    Fástred al Beréma,
    Rówanti al Sávè-k’nôr

• Time for a new poll   10 years 48 weeks ago

The question as phrased is much too open ended.

If it was phrased more like "would you like to see a rules expansion on the topic of X", that would be a lot better.

Even then, I wouldn't be too sure about asking it unless there was a real chance that Kelestia was thinking about working on product X.

• HârnMakers & Confidentiality   10 years 48 weeks ago

Ken, If Kelestia's production line was better organized, I would agree that it could be good idea to let the community know that something is being worked on and there is a target publication date of X. But right now, Kelestia's writers are basically a herd of cats working on whatever happens to interest them and only a few of the modules/articles have a dimly viewed target date for finishing up. Jeremy does his best to direct the cats toward a common goal, but without a big checkbook in hand there's only so much he can do.

I alluded earlier to a kingdom article which has been "in development" for at least three years but which the last I checked in was no better than half written. And yet it has been discussed on HarnForum several times during that period. What good does that do? In regards to that particular kingdom, I seriously think years of stony silence would have been a lot better.

As a second example, take a look at the exchange that occurred on HarnForum a month or two ago when someone said he was going to work on a fanon thing about Altland, and Jeremy popped up to try to draw him into the Kelestia fold. There were people who were more than a little irritated that Kelestia is "working on" uncountable things but is delivering on hardly any of them, and frankly I had to agree with their complaints.

• HârnMakers & Confidentiality   10 years 48 weeks ago

There's another side to it though. Letting the community at large know that something is being worked on or is even just in the consideration phase allows that community to direct it's own development energies in other directions. We (and CGI) have mostly been able to avoid the Fanon vs Canon battle of having a well done fanon setting article superseded by an official one. It also allows the talent pool out there to lend their own efforts towards an official product that they might be particularly interested in or suited to. If we don't communicate to the fan base, then they have nothing to go on.

In addition, simply letting folks know that things ARE being worked on is better than stony years of silence. At the rate that things get released, it would be easy to slip from the consumers consciousness if we gave them no hint that we are indeed working on material. The natural question they're going to have is...well, WHAT are you working on. Simply answering that it's a secret is likely to be more frustrating and disappointing than letting them know, but making it clear that there's no fixed time table.

There are exceptions of course. Nothing wrong with some covert projects just as long as folks perceive KP as an active, alive, development house. Trierzon for example, I think should be kept a secret as much as possible.

But... it's Robin's rules around here, so that's that. :)

• House Rules   10 years 48 weeks ago

PDF Downloads would be preferable for me.

• House Rules   10 years 48 weeks ago

PDF Downloads would be preferable for me.

• Moving material to new computer   10 years 48 weeks ago

I think I fixed the problem, dodgy memory stick. Thanks for the help. I now have all the material across on the lap top, and starting a new Chelemby campaign now. I best get designing.
    Allan

• Moving material to new computer   10 years 48 weeks ago

Allan

• Moving material to new computer   10 years 48 weeks ago

Well, it really looks to me as if there is something wrong with how you are moving the files rather than with the files themselves.

Are the two computers in question networked? Can you move the files that way?

If you can, copying the good files to a non-volatile medium (CD?) might be a good idea?

• Moving material to new computer   10 years 48 weeks ago

Are the two computers in question networked? Can you move the files that way?

• Sponsorship in Chelémbian society   10 years 48 weeks ago

Dan

I don't have any gaming going at the moment.

But I have been researching Ivinian culture alot. Coming from a non-scandanavian country, I have found that the Ivinian society dynamics are fundamentally different to feudal kindgoms.

I have been working on a fanon for Tawheim (Orbaal) for a while. The Valhakkar has travelled widely and brought the customs of many lands to his court. I have been looking into possibilities and many of these likely come from other Ivinian cultures (eg: Chelemby, Harbaal, Selbenvaal)

With that said, it could be argued that Chelemby is a special case. It has an Ivinian foundation, but has elements from various neibouring cultures (largely feudal).

I have been looking at elements to include in possible campaigns. One that I was thinking was the players escorting one of the clan's Husgaren. This Husgaren is a key advisor for the Valhakkar. So will visit various Nalards, Kanthusen (trading posts), travel on ships, conducting diplomatic/political missions, explore possible new markets etc (naturally there will be those who oppose clan activies for various reasons).

When you design a campaign in Chelemby, don't forget the clan ties to other branches of the clan in other countries such as Harbaal, Ivinia, Orbaal, Quaphor etc. They can add alot.

Peter

• Sponsorship in Chelémbian society   10 years 48 weeks ago

Dan

I don't have any gaming going at the moment.

Peter

• Sponsorship in Chelémbian society   10 years 48 weeks ago

Cheers, Peter. I was thinking as well that the nature of each particular relationship would vary a lot.

After writing those questions, I found an answer to one of them: in the Koladis and Evanekin articles, it says that businesses pay 5% to their sponsoring clan, instead of guild dues (plus 5% to the local government). I imagine Chelemby city would be the same.

As an aside, is or was your game (either as player or GM) set in Chelemby? If so, I'd be interested to hear what the campaign involved.

Dan.

• Sponsorship in Chelémbian society   10 years 48 weeks ago

Dan.

• Sponsorship in Chelémbian society   10 years 48 weeks ago

Interesting thoughts...

naturally with the individual (informal) nature of the client-clan relationships, there is alot of scope for variation, but here is my thoughts

Craftsmen/Clansmen in towns/cities are an interesting case; I would expect they could be considered the same as a guilded franchise on Tia-Nalari clans (The clans collects a tenth of gross revenue). They have the protection of the Tia-Nalari clan and in many cases the franchise itself is possible due to the support of the clan. (This is much the same as guild taxes in feudal states)

In addition Craftsmen/Clansmen would pay the various taxes required to the local testrad who governs the location.

Remember Tia-Nalari clans are on the myriad of Testrads (councils) that govern individual aspects of all aspects of Chelembian government. Thus there can be of political activity behind the scenes, should a Tia-Nalari clan wants a particular decision. The more important the decision, the more influence a Tia-nalari clan (and their Allies) will bring to bear.

Sponsored clansmen will also benefit economically. Effectively being able to buy "wholesale" from other clansmen (craftsmen, farmers, mercantylers or whatever) from both the Tia-Nalari clan, plus other Tia-Nalari clans in the same trading alliance.

It is also worth remembering that Tia-Nalari clans who hold concessions, have a significant advantage with trade. Not only to they avoid import duties, but they also avoid bonding and hawking fees.

I believe the individual holds a franchise not the clan. However if he is on clan land he needs clan approval, and if it is on common land he needs Testrad approval. The Tia-Nalari clan can influence a Testrad; but more inportantly, the Valhakkar can remove their Tia-Nalari protection of the individual which considerably changes his legal status. I suspect a clansmen will do whatever they can to remain on good terms with his Valhakkar.

If the Tia-Nalari clan holds a concession. There will also be potentially a standing demand for goods from the clan's mercantylers who will consolidate goods in preparation for the next shipment.

Other clans in the trade alliance will benefit economically from Kanthusen (trading posts), concessionaries and ships from other alliance members.

as far as religious clans. Generally religion is an individual thing and up to the individual adherant (who will generally pay 10% of his gross income as a tithe).

for example:
    about 10% of chelembians worship Peoni; each of these will generally pay 10% of their gross income. Similarly for Halea (10%), Larani (5%), Agrik (5%)

This can vary somewhat, for example, Peonians are largely rural farmers, whilst Haleans are middle class townsfolk.

There is an interesting point will be some adherants who will worship (or at least give lip service to) multiple dietes.

Also Sarajinian tithes will be distibuted among the various religious clans; Agrikan support will be split among the 3 different Agrikan religious orders.

In addition, most most of the chelembian Haleans will be from clans Ekatriasa and Hlandes; most Agrikans will come from clans Paserin and Noordsen.

It is also worth remembering that Agrikans, Laranians and Haleans will have a relatively small number of temples, whereas Peoni and Sarajin will have large number of smaller churches.

I hope this helps...

• Sponsorship in Chelémbian society   10 years 48 weeks ago

Interesting thoughts...

for example:

I hope this helps...

• Campaign   10 years 49 weeks ago

Essentially, the material in the Tapestry Saga was adventure based. It described plots and characters and drew on existing material as to where these adventures took place.

The series of adventures were deliberately written over a 20 year period. This was mailnly due to a discussion that was held in the early design stage that came to the opinion that characters in most RPGs have an incredible amount of adventures in a short time frame. Of course, this is artificially generated by the game and the characters wanting to keep the adventure going. Nobody wants to look after their farm holdings for 5 years or so after slaying a few dragons.

In keeping with the more believable environment of Harn, we wanted the GM to take a guiding hand and, when one part of the saga was complete, the players would be told that x years have gone by, before introducing hooks into the next part of the adventure. We were even devising a set of tables to generate character-related events that happened during the period of down-time.

As Robin points out, an adventure, by its very nature must be able to progress beyond 720. The Tapestry material did not create new historical events or generate new Gods etc. It drew off existing canon. However, in any game a GM and/or the players may be responsible for generating major changes in the world. That becomes their own personal verion of Harn (I think Robin refers to these as p-Harns).

On another note, while developing the Tapestry series, it was hoped that we would be able to add in a few 'easter eggs' drawn from material that Robin has not released. A few new things to whet the appetite of fans. But...alas, corporate problems arose and the Harn project was abandonned. I was moved on to d20 modules for another year or so before Auran decided it didn't need creative writers anymore - just programmers and artists.

Regards,

Keith

There are currently 1 user and 14 guests online.

Online users