Karéjia: The City-States of the Venârian Sea
By Keléstia Productions Staff
102 pages and map
This module includes articles that detail the history, geography, culture, and politics of islands and cities of Karéjia - the geographic and commercial heart of Venârivè.
This regional module details much of the Karéjian Archipelago, and a large portion of the Lýthian mainland controlled by the Karéjian League (an area known as Elbýthia). There are thousands of islands in the archipelago, the largest of which is over 2,500 square leagues. The region is volcanically active, and enjoys a warm sub-tropical climate. While the islands are well populated, there are many wild lands and regions, where strange creatures can be found, including the Ægesíri, the 'divine monsters' of the Venârian region.
The region has been the location of towns and cities for more thousands of years, from the ancient Vénic people, through Kàruían era and the Àzeryáni Empire, and more recently the Karéjian League. The league was formally established in TR664, and now includes almost all cities and towns in the archipelago and many on the eastern shores of the Venârian Sea. Some 200 city-states are members of the league, organised into 14 'larumina' or military provinces, each led by a powerful city-state.
The Karéjian culture is relatively urbanised, with long traditions of civic life. Participatory governments, whether oligarchic or semi-democratic, are common, although there are also monarchies and other forms of government.
The Karéjians are amongst the greatest traders of Venârivè; their larún - great convoys of trading galleys - reach far across the Venârian Sea and beyond. Trade from all points of the compass passes through Venârivè and its great markets, and huge fortunes are made and lost. Karéjia is a cross-roads of the world, and opportunities for adventure, trade and political scheming abound.
The module includes a detailed gazetteer of the following regions:
- Ájygàl - a mainland region that extends both north and east of this map. Centred on an ancient rival city of Livélis, and an important centre of learning. Around twenty other towns or locations are described.
- Arketh - a small island region in the Ûmélrian Sea. The city is famous for its lighthouse, and many of its inhabitants are descended from refugees from Góthmîr. Nine other locations are described.
- Dúrien - a mainland region that is a bread-basket for the League. Dúrien city is the centre of a large territorial state, with a number of satellite cities. Around twenty other locations are described.
- Gílech - a landlocked region in the basin of the Bythîra River, a centre of Elbýthian culture. Gílech passed back and forth between Dalkésh and Ázeryàn for centuries, before gaining its independence. Dálken influence remains significant. Around twenty other locations are described.
- Helás - a province dominated by the Haléan Church. The city of Helás lies to the west of this map; the locations on the map are described.
- Hóritar - located on one of the larger Venârian islands, the cities in this province have a long history of rivalry. Over twenty locations are described.
- Kólomîr - a mainland region centred around the Khâral River basin. The cities in this region are relatively independent, and Kólomîr city is simply first amongst equals.
- Livélis - this city has long been the centre of the Karéjian world. Livélis is a great trading market, and a major naval power, maintaining 52 war galleys. It is protected by the famous Xêriates Wall. Around fifteen other locations are described.
- Nárolis - a great naval and military power, providing many great admirals and generals across Karéjian history. Around twenty other locations are detailed.
- Phanósia - a great trading region and city that rivals Livélis. Famous for its remarkable slave market. Around fifteen other locations are described.
- Rykál - a city known as the 'Joyous Haven', where it is said that any human vice can be catered to. It is an enormously wealthy city. Around half the province is off the map to the west.
- Shélon - a city with a reputation for quiet benevolence, and with many matriarchal clans. Around ten other locations are described.
- Iqdir District, Résikhar Province, Empire of Dalkésh - this small district of the Empire is described, including the tensions and accommodations between Dálken and local Karéjian peoples.
- Hácheri territories - parts of three Hácheri principalities - Hácherùl, Ócharim and Kúladith - are on this regional map, and locations in this area are described.